Friday, April 8, 2011

Wall and Piece

Cover picture from Wallflower
Beautiful guerilla-art with a message.

Author

Banksy, anonymous English graffiti artist, political activist, film director and painter.

Summary

Witty and subversive, his stencils show monkeys with weapons of mass destruction, policeman with smiley faces, rats with drills and umbrellas.If you look hard enough you’ll find your own. His statements, incitements, ironies and epigrams are by turns intelligent and cheeky comments on everything from the monarchy and capitalism to the war in Iraq and farm animals.

His identity remains unknown, but his work is prolific. Here's the best of his work in a fully illustrated colour volume – including brand material. (source: Random House)

Status

The first time I found out about Banksy was probably when I was google'ing my way through my daytime job at the bank, misspelling the 'brand of payment solutions' (Banksys) and therefore accidently uncovering a new world of politicial activistic beauty.

When I was invited to a New Years dinner at my childhood friend, Hendrik, his place, I just heard that Banksy his book was out and thought it to be an original present. Soon after, I left for Ghana, so I haven't had the time to browse through the book myself but I hope it is still on top of his coffee table to struck his customers with awe.

Links


Guerrilla art:

1 comment:

  1. 201.352 visitors for the exposition of graffiti and street art in the Museum of Contemporary Art (Los Angeles). Amongst the works displayed, were also works by Banksy.

    More: Banksy sponsors free museum admission (BBC) and video of the expo in 2006

    ReplyDelete