Friday, February 25, 2011

Trainspotting

Cover picture from goodreads
Even better than the movie!

Author

Irvin Welsh, a contemporary Scottish novelist.

Summary

The first novel by Irvine Welsh, written in the form of short chapters narrated in the first person by various residents of Leith, Edinburgh. They either use heroin, are friends of the core group of heroin users, or engage in destructive activities that are implicitly portrayed as addictions that serve the same function as heroin addiction. The novel is set in the late 1980s and written in raw Scottish dialect, painting a brutal depiction of the realities of Edinburgh life. (source: Wikipedia)

Status

Believe it or not, but although I was in a catholic school, the movie was shown to me in secondary school as part of my "general education". I was blasted away immediately and it is still one of my favourite films.

Years later, the book was given to me by Aino and Salla, two Erasmus students from Finland who my roommate and I hosted for some months in Leuven, back in 2006. I remember Salla telling me: "The book is even harder than the movie, I'm not going to say much, but definitely read the part of the waiter serving soup." Disgusting...

The book has followed me from Belgium, to Ghana and back to Belgium again. In the end, I believe I have given it as a present to my friend Sara.

Links

No comments:

Post a Comment