Sunday, February 13, 2011

Business Stripped Bare

Cover picture from Virgin
Adventures of a Global Entrepreneur.

Author

Sir Richard Charles Nicholas Branson, British business magnate, chairman of Virgin Group.


Summary

In seven chapters (People, Brand, Delivery, Learning from mistakes and setbacks, Innovation, Entrepreneurs and leadership and Social responsibility), Sir Richard Branson explains his view on business and (global) entrepreneurship. His positive attitude shines through the book and the uncountable anecdotes make this a very good read.

Quotes

What really matters is what you create.Does it work or not? Does it make you proud?

Status

Although I never (seriously: never) read a biography and normally throw all "business books" straight into the dust bin, it was a big surprise to me that I actually enjoyed reading this book.

While our restaurant in Tamale was started up, Nana, a local friend of mine came to me with this book. A volunteer had left it behind and as it was written in Dutch (imagine me, reading a translation, ugh...), Nana could not use it so he wanted to give it to me as a present.

The book first collected a lot of dust in my office, but when I had read most of my fiction, I gave it a try. At the time, I had broken my ankle, so there was plenty of time. Before I knew it, I started reading chapter after chapter. Especially the stories out of his own experience are fascinating. A must read!
The book is still in my office, waiting for a new owner.

Links

2 comments: